Sunday, August 3, 2008

Caleb's artwork

Caleb has started coloring this past week so I wanted to post a couple of his "drawings." We actually bought him the bigger, triangular shaped crayons and they are much easier for him to use than the skinny round ones. I was really excited when he colored these because he did them completely by himself. I didn't even have to start him on the page as I had on previous attempts. He is so funny because he is good for one drawing and as much as I try to get him to do a second one, he's like, "Mom, one was enough, be happy and let me down now." And he likes to use every color at least once, which I think is good for some reason. On another note, I was recently left in charge of my parent's garden, of which Jeremy and I have a small section of that contains corn, peas, green beans, squash and cucumbers. Well the week my parents were gone and I was in charge was quite the harvest week- for both our garden and my parents. Thankfully Pat is here with us and she has shelled so many peas I am sure she is quite tired of them (although she shelled some more tonight). Well, anyway, I had so many cucumbers they were overtaking our kitchen so I decided to try pickling them. I have previously made and canned peach butter with the help of my mom, but I was nervous to try something on my own. It was a pretty involved process, though not one of those recipes that takes days and days. The end result was 16 pints of bread and butter pickles and a kitchen that smelled of vinegar and strong spices. We haven't tried the pickles yet, so our fingers are crossed that it wasn't a huge waste of time. After the pickles I decided to try relish because I found a great deal on red peppers and onions at the local Kroger. We've actually opened a can of it and while it's okay, it is nothing compared to what my mom and aunts have previously made and shared with me. Now, after saying all of that, let me take a moment to say to my mom, my sister and my aunts and my friend's parents (James and Mary Cox), thank you for all of your previous gifts in the form of home-canned foods. While I enjoyed them all, I was clueless to the time and effort involved in making them. Any future gifts will be treated as the treasures they truly are.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed by the artwork! That is about 2/3 more than I can ever get Rad to color at any time.

Seth said...

Looks like Uncle Seth is going to have to be giving some art lessons to his nephews.