Monday, August 4, 2008

The Trinity

Our pastor Rob Morgan (of The Donelson Fellowship) has begun a series on the Trinity, which is something I have always believed, but my understanding of it has always been poor to say the least. It is one of those things I would find difficult to articulate or explain to someone. For lack of better teaching, or perhaps for lack of better comprehension on my part, I have thought of the Trinity as God in 3 persons as I am one person but I am a granddaughter, sister and cousin (therefore God is one God, but has the role of Father, Son and Holy Spirit). For some reason, however, that analogy has never completely set well with me- it was far too simplistic. Pastor Morgan did present this in fact to be false and his sermon was by far the best I have ever heard related to the subject. He basically made three points which I will state briefly:
1. The Trinity is the Most Unique Aspect of Christian Truth
2. The Trinity is Easy to State
There is One God who eternally exists in Three Persons- Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
3. The Trinity is Impossible to Understand

You definitely don't get the benefit of the whole sermon here as the meat of it was in his discussion, but I am hoping to entice those of you interested or curious on the subject to read or view the sermon from the following links. I think you will find it worthy of your time and effort. Even those of you not Baptist might enjoy it! I am hoping part of his discussion in future sermons in this series will shed light on the relationship among the Father, Son and Holy Spirit as another reason this subject is so intriguing to me is because I read The Shack last month and while the book is controversial to some, for me it opened up a whole new understanding of the Trinity.

Here is a link to read it and then also one to view it

1 comment:

Seth said...

I was about to make a post concerning some fascinating reading I'd done recently on the Trinity, but realized it was going to be quite long and would probably be considered hijacking your thread, so instead I posted it on mine. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.