Monday, July 19, 2010

Terrific Third, Fabulous Fourth!

We celebrated Independence Day by attending the annual 4th of July Parade at Langford Farms Club on July 3rd. In all my years as a member of LFC, this was my first time to attend the parade. It was a blast! Caleb and I had worked hard on our little float and to our surprise (and perhaps because of our slight advantage at my being childhood friends with one of the judges), we won Best of Show! The winnings came with a nice $50 bill, which Caleb for some reason referred to as a ticket. There were a ton of participants- bike riders, people on actual "big" floats, skate boarders, the decorated LFC bus and even some little kids riding their motorized vehicles (of which one daddy had to watch his little girl like she was a teenager who had just received her license-hilarious!). Of course, there were a number of wagons and walkers too and there was fabulous music as well. Caleb really enjoyed being in charge of throwing the candy we had purchased as part of our float. We swam for a little while afterwards to cool off, but both boys were too tired to stay for the Coke Dive. Plus, Jeremy had to work and I don't know if I could have managed both boys by myself- they were too excited on tired at the same time! Maybe next year for that one! If any of you live near LFC, I highly suggest this as a fun family event for you to do with your little ones- they will love it! The next day we attended a great patriotic service at our church and then celebrated with my siblings and niece and nephews at Granddaddy and Grandmama's house with a cookout. The weekend was capped off that night when the whole family went swimming at LFC. The majority of the evening was spent with various family members performing stunts off the diving board. It was a great time and I only regret that I did not have my camera to take any pictures as there were some great ones! Especially my brother-in-law flipping while holding his nose and my 61 year old dad doing his one and a half that isn't quite a one and a half anymore!
Family shot
Walking the parade route
Eli rode most of the time standing up biting on an apple, of which he would then spit out. It was quite American and pretty funny.
Grnadmama and Granddaddy always dress the part!

No comments: