Thursday, July 15, 2010

Pizza Taken Poolside

I absolutely love making homemade pizza. The whole process of making the dough from scratch, watching it rise and then creating layers of yumminess using delicious toppings to make a mouth-watering/take back things you never stole/slap yo momma piece of heaven from the oven is loads of fun for me. I use my late Aunt Cindi's recipe for the crust and I guess it's a bit nostalgic for me everytime I make it. I always loved it when she made homemade pizza for our family. Hers is still the best and I doubt I will ever make anything as good as she did, but that will not stop me from trying! Another reason I love making it is that it works well for Caleb too! The only adjustment in making Caleb his own dairy-free, egg-free pizza is that I have to use his special vegan cheese, of which they now have a pretty good brand- it melts! Since I have a beautiful basil plant growing on the back porch, this particular pizza was basically fresh sliced tomatoes, fresh basil, fresh garlic, olive oil and a blend of 6 Italian cheeses. How I wish I had a brick oven, but even so I was pretty pleased with the way this one came out of the oven!
Caleb enjoying his vegan pizza (although sometimes I will add sausage to his, but usually only if we have been able to purchase some from a local farmer).
You have to love a satisfied customer! Thanks babe for hanging with me despite that horrible broccoli cheese soup way back when!
And yet another satisfied customer!
And just for kicks, what makes for a better summer than being poolside watching your 3 year old jump off the same diving board you jumped off some 25 years ago! Talk about nostalgia!
He absolutely loves jumping off the diving board!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pizza! I'd love to hear the story of the broccoli cheese soup sometime. I love it at Panera Bread, and I've looked into making it.

Seth said...

Wish I could enjoy that with you. Love and miss you all.

Caleb's Family said...

Karina,

The broccoli cheese soup was back when Jeremy and I were dating at TTU. I had made him just a few things to eat and I think he was somwhat impressed. His mother, as you know, was a cook so he was no stranger to good food. Anyway, I just up and decided one day to fix some broccoli cheese soup. Basically I pureed some steamed broccoli and cheese together in a blender- no recipe at all! It was horrible and Jeremy was a tad shy of my cooking for awhile! Broccoli soup is one of my favs too. I have a really good recipe from my Aunt Jo that is light but you can "unlighten" it by adding delicious toppings such as cheese, bacon and croutons, which of course is what really makes it good! I'd be happy to share it with you, although I am sure there are several other good ones out there.

Seth, we miss you too! Hoping to try to dry some blueberries and figs this week! Love you bro!