Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Remembering

My dear mother-in-law passed away ~2 weeks ago. She had been battling a painful disease for over 4 years and on hospice for just a few months. It is easy for me to remember when she was diagnosed as it was the same day we found out we were pregnant with Caleb. Wonder of wonders! I remember talking to Jeremy on the phone that day and him telling me about her treatment and I thought to myself, "I'll take a pregnancy test just so I won't freak out if I have to be around radiation or chemo treatments." Surprise, surprise it was positive! I couldn't believe it! I remember going to work that day and thinking how excited I was but then also how sad at not knowing the future for Pat. I kept the news to myself all day- just a secret between me and God and of course the new life I was carrying inside me. Later that day as I headed from Memphis to Jackson to visit Pat, I called Jeremy and said, "Guess what?" I think he knew as soon as I uttered the words. Joy in the midst of sadness...Life in the midst of death...Relief in the midst of the unknown. I remember a few weeks later telling Jeremy's family as we all sat beside Pat in the hospital room- talk about timing! Pat was of course happy for us. How thrilled we were to be giving her a grandchild and how we hoped it would bring her joy.
I am so relieved that Pat is no longer in any discomfort or pain- she has experienced the ultimate healing. I am of course also very hopeful as I know I will see Pat again one day and that is most comforting to me. We shared a Christian faith and I know she is standing before our Lord. I am saddened, however, that her time with her grandchildren was cut short. Caleb loved her and Eli was of course growing to love her. She made them both beautiful baby blankets. She was very fond of reading Caleb stories and he loved, loved crawling up in her lap. He would use the lever on the side of her recliner to "boost" himself up so he could climb over the arm of the chair onto her lap. It was very sweet. One of their favorite stories was I Love You This Much. Pat taught him the motions to the story and I am so very glad I was able to capture it in photographs. As many of you know, Caleb is very rambunctious. He has been known to take a swing at several people. In the entire year Pat lived with us, however, he never attempted to hit her, which was something I was somewhat worried about. She was always so very gentle with him, however, and never seemed frustrated with him. In fact, the most I ever heard her get onto him was her telling him to leave her cane alone and this really only because we were all afraid he would use it to bang on someone or something around the house. He loved messing with her stuff! He especially loved going in her room and crawling up on her bed beside of her to "inspect" all her gadgets. He was particularly fond of the grabber she used to help put her socks on or retrieve far away items. I remember to how good she was with Eli. Even being in a frail physical state she would hold Eli and keep him entertained by dancing her fingers around, which he watched in fascination. She was a sweet, gentle and soft-spoken lady. Pat was also very generous in supplying me with plants. After she moved in with us, she drew me a map of her yard and labeled it for me to transplant some of her plants to my yard. She also shared plants with my mother who made the trek with me to Pat's house in Jackson. What a wonderful trip that was! I planted what I think is a beautiful hosta garden and planted many other flowers as well. I think if we are to work in heaven, Pat is lovingly tending to the growing things up there. Or perhaps if we have any need of adornment in the realm of clothing in heaven, she might perhaps be sewing or quilting. It brings a smile to my face to think of it!

4 comments:

Laura said...

Wonderful, sweet post!

Anonymous said...

Pat was someone I had a wonderful time talking to. She gave me lots of great gardening advice, even in the short time I knew her. I know you will miss her.

Seth said...

Nice tribute, Katie. I wonder how long until one of us is writing one for Mom or Dad? Life truly is a vapor.

Katie J said...

Thank you all very much. Seth, when I went with Jeremy and Russ to the funeral home to make arrangements with them for Pat, I couldn't help but think that the next time I most likely will be doing that will be for Mom or Dad's funeral. It was almost like hitting a brick wall- you are so correct that life is like a vapor. It comforts me to know, however, that we will have each other when that time comes. Love and miss you bro!